Saturday, March 13, 2010

Session 2: Semiotics

This week we learned about reading the image: semiotics. Tim discussed with us the importance of Ferdinand de Saussure. Saussure was a linguist who came up with the two-part model of the sign. He stated that a sign was part of two things: a signifier and a signified. The signifier represents the form which the sign takes. The signified represents the concept. We learned about three specific concepts of semiotics, which include:

1. Icons
  • Physically Similar: This photo (courtesy of David Wall Photos) represents a physically similar icon. It shows you a literal image of what the sign is being used to inform the public about.

  • Conceptual Similarity: This is an image of my roommates sheet of music. The five of them play the guitar and they share a binder of guitar sheet music. This type of icon represents the sound of something through an image.



2. Indices: This is an example of indices related through casualty. I took this photograph while traveling in Queenstown, New Zealand. The image represents "red sky at night, sailor's delight". The next day should bring sunshine.




3. Arbitrary Sign: This represents a sign that does not need explanation. No matter where in the world you are, this sign represents the same thing. An example of this is sign language. It doesn't matter what language you speak. Signing is universal. This is the sign for "I love you".



There is a lot to know about semiotics. Too much to include in one blog entry. We just learned a brief into this week, but I'm definitely excited to learn more. Now that I know what to look for, I'm going to search for some signs on my own. Maybe even for next weeks entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment